Tuesday, December 6, 2011

December Read Your Own Library Challenge


I made it through November's challenge! Hooray! One more book on my bookshelf has been read. I am so proud of myself :)  
I finished reading Blessings by Anna Quindlen with just hours to spare before December started. It was very enjoyable, and I will be posting my book review later today.


This month my book club is taking a break for the holidays, so I will have a little more reading time to devote to this challenge. I decided to read The House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III. I am happy to say this book landed on my TBR list before Oprah chose it for her book club selection. But I didn't buy it until after she chose it. So my copy has her official stamp of approval. Unfortunately, that also means it's been sitting on my shelf, unread, for 12 years. 

I know, I know, I deserve a whap on the head. But, hey, isn't that what this monthly challenge is all about. To help us poor bibliophiles to stop beating ourselves up from the guilt of our addiction, and actually do something about it!

To my credit, I have started the book twice, but I really can't say why I didn't finish it. Anyway, this time I really promise to finish the book, and then it will hold a special place of honor on my bookshelf.

3 comments:

  1. Hurray for Bean! Glad you made it through the book in time; I, too, finished November's read with only hours to spare. And I have been thinking I should read House of Sand and Fog for ages. I'm looking forward to reading your review so I'll have a better idea whether or not to bother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd faint if I knew how many books had been on my shelf for about 12 years. I didn't join Goodreads until 2009, though, so everything I had before then was added to my Goodreads shelves in 2009. It makes it look like none of my books have been around for long, but deep down, I know the truth. :P Congrats on succeeding in this month's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Complex characters that are beautifully developed with flaws and vulnerabilities that challenge our notions and stereotypes about people. Ifoumd thiis to be a powerful and in-depth study of people and their hidden demons and fears.

    ReplyDelete