Tuesday, February 28, 2012

World Book Night


If you haven't heard about this event, World Book Night is "a celebration of reading and books which will see tens of thousands of people share books with others in their communities across America to spread the joy and love of reading." This annual event is being held on Monday, April 23rd.

Now for the really good news -- I've been chosen to be a book giver for World Book Night!! Woohoo! I will be distributing copies of The Poisonwood Bible by to non-readers or infrequent readers at a location of my choosing.


This book is about a family that moves from their comfortable life in the US to preach the gospel in Congo. The father is a hard-line minister who insists everything in the entire world, from religion to gardening, must be done his way. His wife struggles to humbly follow her husband's rules and requirements. The four daughters learn about life, love, happiness and tragedy as they live their childhood in an undeveloped country amidst the beginnings of a civil war.

I personally loved this book the first time I read it. Now that I think about it, I would say this book is one of my gibbees, since I insist the book always have a home on my bookshelf. Lots of drama, family dynamics, humor, and even a little romance. This book has it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment