Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Alchemist book review


My rating = 4 stars

From  the cover –
An Andalusian shepherd boy dreams of travelling the world in search of a treasure as extravagant as any ever found. From his home in Spain he journeys to the exotic markets of Tangiers and then into the Egyptian desert, where a fateful encounter with the alchemist awaits him.

This book surprised me. I was expecting an adventure story, and while I did get that, I also got a book about becoming one with the earth, never giving up on your dreams and destiny, and the evolution of human character. The book is not divided up into chapters. Instead, it is told as one long narrative. It felt like I was reading a folk tale or something to that effect. There's quite a funny twist of events at the end too!

1 comment:

  1. Super helpful tool!! The Alchemist book was a required summer assignment for my sons freshman honors class. It was a great read, awesome message but also hard to understand at times so this Spark notes book was an amazing tool to understand a few points that were hard to get at first.

    Hannah
    Ketterman Rowland & Westlund

    ReplyDelete