Saturday, March 3, 2012

Out of the Spin Cycle book review


Texas Mountain Laurel tree

You know it's springtime in south Texas when the mountain laurels start to bloom. I have one of these trees by my front door, however mine is about a fourth of the size of this one, and doesn't have as nearly as many blooms. Still, this excessively fragrant tree is a lovely, if brief, welcome after the gloomy winter we've had. My family calls this the "lollipop tree" because it smells something like grape lollipops or Koolaid. It's really that sweet!

My rating = 4 stars

Out of the Spin Cycle by Jen Hatmaker is also a sweet little read that I'm sure  moms of all ages and experience will find a delight to read. This 40-day devotional book is full of delicious nuggets of wisdom that will help any mom feel more appreciated and understood, as well as come closer to Jesus Christ daily.

Jen Hatmaker speaks very candidly and honestly about what it's really like to be a mom. She addresses several subjects, including comparing yourself to other moms, feeling like you have to be supermommy, and struggling with being unappreciated in your home. Her candid style brings lots of humor, grace, and love to this book.

Here is one of my most favorite passages:

"Enjoy it! This will be over before you know it!"
This is usually uttered after [a] young mom has let a complaint leak out,       something horribly self-centered like, "I'm sorry I smell like vomit. I haven't showered in three days, and my baby developed a milk allergy so she is throwing up about once an hour." (Insert nice pat on the hand by the well-meaning older mom, who is looking at you like you have the best job on the planet and she would trade her clean Ann Taylor outfit in a heartbeat to once again smell like vomit all day, while you're thinking, "Over before you know it? It better be.)
Out of the Spin Cycle, p. 47

No comments:

Post a Comment